Maybe you read the sub-title for this blog and thought, “Why pink materialism?” The reasons are three-fold:
1. The pink part: I know pink hasn’t always been associated with girliness, but, ya know, it’s been associated long enough for the popular assumption to be that it’s a chick color. Therefore, being someone who has TOTALLY bought into traditional gender roles, I declare: pink pink pink pink pink. I’ve bought into traditional gender roles so much that I’ve set my sights on a traditional and archaic role for women: a housewife!* (wtf else am I going to do with a bachelor’s degree in English literature?) I’m qualified, mind you: I can bake! I can pick up the kids from hockey/rugby/curling/whatever practice! I can clean the house in heels for FORTY SOLID MINUTES before my feet start hurting and I have to take them off! (I’ve been practicing! I’ll get better!)
2. The materialism part: I’ve been swilling the pink champagne of capitalist values as if it were bottomless – spoiler alert: it’s not. In this instance, when I say “capitalist values” I mean investing my identity in something as superficial as The Color Pink For Pink’s Sake and deciding that what that means is to buy a lot of pink stuff. Are you following?
Furthermore, focusing the core of my personal identity in this venue is much easier than having strong moral integrity or whatever.
Oh, and:
3. Pink is pretty.
* All sarcasm aside, I do recognize the role of the house-spouse as a valid lifestyle choice. I realize that post-disclaimer makes me sound like no less of an asshole.
Forty minutes?! You are a rock.
ReplyDeleteA blistery, blistery rock.
DeleteI don't house clean for forty minutes in SLIPPERS, my friend.
ReplyDeleteSlippers? o.O
Delete